Sunday, June 6, 2010

Flying solo

I'm alone at the hospital with Kol for the next 24 hours or so. Kristen and the girls have headed back to Outlook - Julianna has a piano recital tonight, and Mari wants to go back to school - so it's a "boys' night" for me and Kol. So far, that seems to involve Kol watching "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" on the big laptop while I hack around on my little netbook (testing out Ubuntu 10.4 Netbook edition, running off a USB stick). We're complete party animals here.

Kol has had a pretty good day today - ate a relatively big breakfast, had his EVD removed (Kris will post the details later), got picky at lunch, had a good visit with his sisters and grandparents this afternoon, and he's been talking more often and more clearly. There were some low points this afternoon as well - an old bandage (on his neck, where the central line had been inserted) was removed, but it was really pulling the skin and causing him some pain. He also threw up just at supper time, and as part of the cleanup we had to change some of the tape on his feeding tube, which also caused some distress (although not as bad as the other bandage). Overall, though, it's been a good day.

The girls and I went to Rock of Ages Lutheran with Mom and Dad this morning, and at the end of the service they had our family (as well as one other family with someone in the hospital) come up to the front for prayers. The elders of the congregation were all around us, praying for us, laying on hands, etc. It was almost overwhelming - I'm not normally one that enjoys being the center of attention, so in that respect it was somewhat uncomfortable, but at the same time it felt good to be blessed in that way. Thank-you to the Rock congregation for blessing us in that way.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there to pray over you guys as well, however I had work. God truly is answering prayer, through the improvements Kol is making.

    - Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs and kisses ~~~ quit blushing Kirk!! Cynthia & Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad to be able to see you tonight Kristen! I have been thinking of you, Kirk & the family for many days and just wishing that I could help you out in any way. Thanks for the blog address so we can keep checking up on the little man. Hang in there! We are all on your side.

    ReplyDelete